Saturday, October 3, 2009

"24", Queen Esther, and the Nature of God

I know, the title is strange. However, this relationship between a TV series, a bible study, and a statement about God's nature have consumed my thoughts of late. Over the summer, mostly the last couple of weeks of September, I watched the second season of "24" with the Economist. Buying the DVD and watching without commercials is the most time efficient way to watch a dramatic series. Besides when it is that intense I can't imagine having to wonder for a whole season who done it, who didn't and who is going to be on the receiving end of all those bullets. I find myself sitting on the edge of my seat, chewing my fingernails when I watch this show. I don't know if I can watch all the seasons although the Economist swears season two is the most intense in her opinion. My heart is racing now just thinking about it.

One of the things that really stood out to me in "24" was the incredible pressure that comes with the office of President. It made me realize that for the most part, the President is very dependent on the people they choose as their closest advisors, be it spouses or staff. They depend on their information and opinion. A President is only as good as the people around him or her. Leaders are trusting their entire careers and lives even on those they trust the most.I would not want to attempt that job without the teaching and counsel of the Holy Spirit. For sure this has made me more aware of my responsibility to pray for those in authority as we are instructed in 2 Timothy 1:1-2.

At the same time we were watching "24", I began Beth Moore's newest study on the book of Esther. This book is one of my favorites. Such a great story about good winning out over evil. Once again we see a King depending on those around him to help make huge, nationally impacting decisions. He unfortunately listens to the evil Haman, whose greatest desire is to kill the Jews (humm... sounds like someone in power today.) Scripture has something to say about the company we keep influencing our character. In both "24" and the book of Esther this is portrayed vividly.

Now for the nature of God. I listened and watched, (it's just a power point of the words being spoken) of something a pastor/teacher named Grahmn Cooke did called the Nature of God Part I. In this he makes a statement about trusting God. The statement was so powerful and so opposite of the experience of both leaders in "24" and the story of Esther.
" It is the most happiest feeling to trust the best, the most honorable, the most powerful, the most integreous, committed and faithful Covenant Make, who is also the most decent person who ever lived - Jesus. Being completely reliant on His character and integrity is the source of your great happiness."

I love the description of Jesus as the "most decent person to ever live." We think of His majesty, power and might, but we rarely are reminded that when He walked this earth he was considered a decent person. One in whom they could find no fault.

Here is what I am taking away from this experience: a renewed commitment to pray for our leaders, a new appreciation for the person of Jesus Christ and a desire to know Him even better, and a realization that I need to ask for discernment in choosing the people whom I allow to speak into my life in a close and personal way. Lastly, i would highly recommend Beth Moore;s Esther study to all women, especially young women whose destiny is still being in a place where there is some blank space on the canvas of your life for the Lord to use. Oh yeah, and check out the You tube video. It will comfort and inspire.

No comments: