Thursday, September 17, 2009

Living With an Economist

Wow, it has been 6 or 7 weeks since I last blogged. Don't know why really, it just seems I never sit down long enough to put my thoughts on paper so to speak. Anyway, my blogging daughter has been fussing at me and telling me it is time to get back in the the swing of things in regards to blogging.

I decided for my first post after a long absence I would write about her! Next time she'll think twice before harassing me about my lack of blogging. This has been an interesting summer having the child back home for an extended period of time as she has spent the last 4 years 9 hours away in college. She worked on campus the past two summers so it's been a long time since she has lived with us. Since she left home four years ago she earned a degree in Economics. Her training and knowledge have certainly influenced her life. I guess I would have to say, she practices what she preaches and that's a good thing.

Upon leaving Publix the other day after completing our weekly adventure in the quest to see how much money we can save, I told her that this would be the subject of my next blog. The weekly shopping trips have been a learning experience no doubt. She has now gotten so serious about her plan of attack that she carries her planner with all her coupons in order, a computer generated list, and a calculator! My job it to mark things off the list.(She doesn't trust me with anything else!) She has learned all sorts of tricks and ways to save money at the grocery store. There is a checker girl that enjoys seeing us come through just to see how much we save. Her dad and I have certainly benefited from her skills.

She is all about being efficient and not being wasteful and getting the best deal possible for the least amount of money. I guess that is the sign of a good economist. Now if she can just get a job with an agency, company, govt. that really values those skills as well. I must say living with an economist has introduced me to a new way of thinking. The best part is it has made grocery shopping more fun! Now she has to teach me all the things she has learned before she leaves. That may be the biggest challenge of all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my friend courtney! :) She's awesome! I miss the tree house!

Anonymous said...

haha - I wish I could experience the calculator and ordered coupons....I can just see it now...grocery shopping is my all-time favorite hobby!