Saturday, May 23, 2009

Graduation Marathon

I have just completed a graduation marathon in the past week. It began with my daughter's college graduation. On returning home I went to two high school graduations for my nephews and a my grandson's Kindergarten graduation. I have seen it at all levels this week. From top to bottom there are similar themes; the ending of one era, the beginning of another, the joy in looking back at accomplishments and the excitement of what the future holds. I must say the Kindergarten graduation was the most entertaining! At the same time I must also confess my daughter's college graduation was most touching to my heart.
Having spent 9 years as a high school counselor I consider myself a connoisseur of graduation ceremonies. The Baccalaureate message at Converse last week was perhaps the best and most appropriate I've ever heard. It could have been that maybe I was just applying it to my own daughter. For whatever reason it really seemed to resonate with me. Another thing I love about small college graduations is the dignity and respect in which it is conducted.
Another thought that crossed my mind was how much less stressful the ceremony is when you are not a part of the administration that is in charge. You always worry about things going well, kids behaving (at least at the high school level and Kindergarten for that matter!)and mispronouncing the names. As a guest you just enjoy all that is happening, don't worry and enjoy the people watching. As a parent your heart is just about to burst with pride at the accomplishment of your child. I spent four years praying through every struggle, conflict, joy and triumph. My heart was very full as I watched my child walk with confidence across the stage ( no she did not realize her greatest fear of losing the hat) and receive her diploma and be hooded. What a sweet moment.
As I've thought about this post I think the biggest most consistent thought was that graduation is a time of Transition. It could be that during a time of fasting last January the Lord spoke to me about this very thing. Any time you end one thing and are preparing to move to the next it is a time of transition and that always brings with it a sense of urgency, excitement, fear, relief, etc.
Last night I came across an article about transition from a spiritual perspective. The pastor listed 4 keys to transition. 1)God knows what He is doing, 2) Our scars can be changed into trophies of grace, 3)Every battle we survive is a graduation into new realms of authority, 4) grace works through time and time is on our side.
Number 3 really stood out to me. In a sense graduation does mark the victory of a battle won. It most definitely leads to new realms of authority which I suspect is the cause for the angst and the excitement. Think about it, with each graduation I mentioned there is a new level of authority and responsibility. The Kindergarten child will no longer take naps and have tons of "center time." It it time now for sitting in rows, reading, and math. The high school graduate will be not longer have a schedule set for them and authorities watching every move. The college graduate will move on to start their own home and career.
All this talk of transition reminds me of the place the Lord took me in January- the story of Joshua taking on the mantle of leadership from Moses. If you are in a time of transition this is a great place to hang out in the Word. The phrase or thought "be strong and courageous," is repeated about 4 or 5 times in the first chapter alone!!! Do you think God knew that transition brings with it a little fear?
I think I'm going to marinate in this idea of transition for a while since I'm there myself. For all you who are in a time of transition I say this, "Be strong and courageous, neither fear not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)

No comments: